Now in Hawaii! TifGrand® Bermuda is the world's first seed and pollen sterile (triploid hybrid) Bermuda grass scientifically developed to thrive in 60-70% continuous shade. It also thrives in full sun and has superior insect and disease resistance, and fewer seed heads than other varieties.
TifGrand® Bermuda was developed by world renowned UGA Turfgrass breeder Dr. Wayne Hanna, professor of plant breeding and genetics in the Department of Crop and Soil Sciences at University of Georgia’s College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
TifGrand® Bermuda, licensed by the University of Georgia Research Foundation, Inc., to Hawaiian Turfgrass, will soon be available in Hawaii to homeowners for planting lawns; to developers for recreational facilities, sports complexes and golf courses; and to urban area landscapers.
• TifGrand® Bermuda performs well in shaded (up to 60% - 70% shade) residential and commercial landscapes as well as other areas like shaded golf course tees, public and private parks and recreational sites.
• TifGrand® Bermuda thrives with superior quality in full sun.
• TifGrand® Bermuda can survive drought conditions and has reduced water requirements.
• TifGrand® Bermuda has significantly reduced fertilizer (N) requirements.
• TifGrand® Bermuda is a very attractive, dense turf with a naturally dark green blade.
• TifGrand® Bermuda is tolerant of traffic and wear, and recovers quickly with proper maintenance.
• Well maintained TifGrand® Bermuda grass will prevent weed establishment but is tolerant to most herbicides approved for weed growth to bermuda grasses in general.
• TifGrand® Bermuda is more resistant to Spring Dead Spot (SDS) than common bermuda grass selections like Celebration bermuda grass.
• TifGrand® Bermuda best mowing height is 1 to 2 inches
• TifGrand® Bermuda sod grass is only available in Hawaii from Hawaiian Turfgrass as a Georgia Crop Improvement Association (GCIA) first quality 'CERTIFIED'. Each delivery of TifGrand® Bermuda grass sod must be accompanied by a GCIA Certificate.